[cmake-developers] Incomplete gfortran library link command sometimes mysteriously occurs with MinGW/MSYS on Wine-1.5.15 platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 26 04:40:12 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-25 23:42-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Either one [of the executables] should show the issue. I did show the wrong output. When it
> fails you get no output.

I now have a much simplified file (compressed so that mailers won't
mess it up, but uncompressed it expands only to 205 bytes) to search
that still triggers the issue (no output from downloaded cmake while
the bootstrapped version finds the string). I used emacs to cut out
everything after "INFO:compiler[GNU]INFO:platform[]" in the file and a
lot before it including many long chains of NULLS that were between
non-NULL characters.  The pattern of the non-NULL characters before
the string appears to be important for triggering the bug.  If I cut
out any of them, suddenly the downloaded CMake starts working and
finds "INFO:compiler[GNU]INFO:platform[]".

So from these experiments it appears a particular pattern of certain
strings delimited by NULLs where the number of NULLs don't matter
(although I didn't check by removing all NULLs whether at least one
NULL is necessary between these particular strings) is required to
trigger the issue.  All other patterns I have tried of similar or
smaller size prior to the string being searched for do not trigger the
bug.  Thus, I am beginning to wonder if there is some hash collision
going on under Wine (only for instructions issued by the compiler used
for the downloaded version) that is causing this particular short
pattern of non-NULL characters delimited by NULL ones to cause a
failure in the search for the string?  Anyhow, I urge those who have
installed Wine to play with this some more by editing the attached
file with emacs to see what byte pattern triggers the bug (no output)
and what patterns do not trigger the bug (output of

-- [INFO:compiler[GNU]INFO:platform[]]

) for the downloaded version of CMake.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin