[cmake-developers] Incomplete gfortran library link command sometimes mysteriously occurs with MinGW/MSYS on Wine-1.5.15 platform

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Oct 26 01:26:23 EDT 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2012 11:15 PM, "Clinton Stimpson" <clinton at elemtech.com> wrote:

> > > We have already found the problem and have an even smaller test case.
> > >
> > > cat info.cmake
> > > file(STRINGS a.exe _strings LIMIT_COUNT 4 REGEX "INFO:")
> > > foreach(info ${_strings})
> > >  message(STATUS "[${info}]")
> > > endforeach()
> > >
> > > Build the CMake test case into a.exe like this:
> > > gfortran CMakeFortranCompilerABI.F
> > >
> > > Then run cmake -P info.cmake,
> > > It should print this:
> > > -- [INFO:compiler[GNU]INFO:platform[]]
> > >
> > > If not it is broken and will not detect the compiler correctly.
> >

> > Bill, are you sure you meant CMakeFortranCompilerABI.F?
> > I get something like this
> > INFO:sizeof_dptr[8]ABI Detection
> > no matter what I do, even on native Linux with /usr/bin/gfortran.
> >
> > The other file, CMakeFortranCompilerId.F, should give the compiler/platform.  Is that the one you meant?
>
> Either one should show the issue. I did show the wrong output. When it fails you get no output.
>
> > Clint

Ok, I was able to reproduce the problem.

Alan, you are in luck.  They fixed it two days ago!!  At first, I was confused because I was not able to reproduce it, then trying it against an older version of Wine showed the problem.

commit 4a566ed3d6acd8a6e18eeaeb41d55d0f793029de
Author: Piotr Caban <piotr at codeweavers.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 23 18:11:06 2012 +0200

    msvcp90: Convert characters to unsigned char before passing them to functions operating on integers.

Clint