[cmake-developers] Missing docs for CMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NAME and possible cmake code generation bug.

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 15:39:16 EDT 2012

On Monday 01 October 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In commit 6f50a04cc1c4584472f850e06daad7ae20af45c4, a
> CMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NAME variable was introduced, but not documented.
> Sometimes it is deliberate to not document things like that, but I thought
> I'd ask if it is.

Until now it is used only internally, and I wanted to keep it internal until
the code has seen some more testing.

> The same commit generates cmake code with uppercasing, but with empty endif
> commands.
>
> I think I saw that cmake code generated by cmake remains uppercase in case
> anyone using an older cmake is processing files generated by a newer cmake.

It's upper case simply because the surrounding code is also uppercase.
Mixing upper- and lower case is support I think at least since 2.4.3.

> Does the same apply to populating the end* commands?

This is valid since quite some time too, maybe 2.6.0 ?

> Such cases of old and new cmake are not unit tested obviously, but then if
> we're not unit testing the case, can we expect to maintain it? Should we
> maybe just lower case the generated code too as was done with all the other
> cmake code?

Hmm, are the generated files in general expected to require at least the cmake
version they have been generated with ?

Alex