[cmake-developers] [CMake] Random behavior of CTEST_USE_LAUNCHERS

Nils Gladitz gladitz at sci-vis.de
Thu Oct 18 07:09:20 EDT 2012

The matched lines with warnings in the non-launcher compiler output in
CDash are already highlighted (bold) so maybe that much may already also
be possible with launchers?

I guess the launcher may currently quit looking after the first warning
but this would at least let me quickly find the first unsuppressed
warning in the output.

Nils

On 10/16/2012 09:35 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Well, the mixing of lines of output from parallel compiles was the
> main reason log scraping didn't work well.
>
> At least with the launchers, we'd be able to "scrape" from a single
> output stream associated with a single build step and we wouldn't have
> the mixing of lines problem anymore.
>
> Nils has a point in that we are already analyzing the output
> line-by-line in order to do custom warning suppression. It would be
> awesome to make it better. (But would also probably require some
> corresponding CDash changes...)
>
> It's not going to be an "easy do it in a day" kind of thing, but this
> is a good idea to keep on the back burner.
>
> (Nils's main challenge at the moment, if I understand correctly, is to
> find the ONE or TWO unsuppressed warnings in an output stream that
> contains 100's of warnings... so that he can then suppress those as
> well)
>

> David
>

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On 10/16/2012 03:09 PM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
>>> Well what would be awesome is having the launcher extract individual
>>> diagnostic messages.
>> Limitations of that kind of "log scraping" was precisely the reason we
>> created CTEST_USE_LAUNCHERS in the first place.  At most CTest should
>> add markup CDash can use to highlight unsuppressed warnings.  That
>> way failure does not drop anything, messages are just less prominent.
>>
>> -Brad
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

Nils Gladitz, B.Sc.
DICOM, Konnektivität und Entwicklung

Scivis wissenschaftliche Bildverarbeitung GmbH
Bertha-von-Suttner-Str. 5
D-37085 Göttingen
GERMANY
Handelsregister Nr. / Trade Register No. B3100 Göttingen
Geschäftsführer / Managing Directors Dr. Gernot Ebel, Dr. Uwe Engeland

Tel: 0049 (0)551 634181-28
E-Mail: gladitz at scivis.de
Web: www.scivis.de