[cmake-developers] [CMake 0013763]: Visual Studio target property FOLDER does not work if professional and express edition are installed in parallel

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Nov 30 11:55:53 EST 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Christian Oberholzer
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   13763
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2012-11-30 11:55 EST
Last Modified:              2012-11-30 11:55 EST
I describe the Problem from the very beginning.

I wanted to start development for the new Windows 8 App Store style apps
(including tablets and also Windows Phone). To do so I installed Visual Studio
2012 Professional on my Win8 machine. Then I selected a Windows Phone 8 Project
which installed a second instance of Visual Studio on my machine called
"Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone". However now the
set_property(TARGET xyz PROPERTY FOLDER "xyz/xyz") does not work anymore.

I had time so I downloaded the source and searched for the issue. I discovered
that with Express Editions the FOLDER feature is turned off (I assume because
Express does not Support it?). However CMake only checks if an Express Edition
is installed but *not* if the user wants to use the pro or the express Edition.
I modified the source on my machine to always sets "this->ExpressEdition" to
false for the appropriate installer and now it works for me. However I do
understand that this is not the correct solution.

If anyone is able to point me into the correct direction I might have the time
to fix this (in case its not easier for an established dev to make a quick fix).

Thanks,
Christian

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change