[cmake-developers] [CMake 0013071]: nonexecutables in $PATH should be ignored

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Mar 28 17:48:23 EDT 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=13071
Reported By:                Ben Longbons
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   13071
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2012-03-28 17:48 EDT
While building various things, I like to have simple wrappers in ~/bin/ around
basic tools like gcc - e.g. to run with niceness to prevent making my desktop
unresponsive, or to check that it builds with a prerelease version as well as
the latest release, or to record command-line options if a project's build
system doesn't echo it (ahem), or even sometimes to add or remove a command-line
option.

Of course, I don't want to use these wrappers all the time, so when I'm not
using them I chmod -x. This works for the vast majority of cases, but
unfortunately makes it impossible to build cmake projects.

If you have to search $PATH yourself, please emulate libc.

from execvp(3):
       If permission is denied for a file (the attempted execve(2) failed with
       the error EACCES), these functions will continue searching the rest  of
       the  search path.  If no other file is found, however, they will return
       with errno set to EACCES.

Steps to Reproduce:
$ touch ~/bin/gcc
$ rm CMakeCache.txt