[cmake-developers] Making GUI applications by default

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:29:25 EST 2012

Stephen Kelly <steveire at ...> writes:

> Brad King wrote:
>
> > The implementation is not what I had in mind when I said "implies"
> > the platform-specific property.  This should be its own property
> > that one can set/get normally with no special C++-implemented
> > mapping to the other two properties.  The generators should look
> > for this property first and only if not set look for the platform-
> > specific property.  If either is set the effect is the same.
>
> I see. That's a bit more painful. That will mean touching all generators,
> and I don't have the easy visual studio or mac access to implement or test
> them.

I happened to read a little bit about CPack recently

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#Overview

The recommendation is to not use MACOSX_BUNDLE when using cpack, so I thought
maybe that makes it different enough to WIN32_EXECUTABLE that they should be
different CMAKE_ properties.

set(CMAKE_WIN32_EXECUTABLE ON)
set(CMAKE_MACOSX_BUNDLE ON)

That would also mean that I can actually submit the patch. I'm not so keen on
having to change every generator instead. Actually I think the existing patch is
better than touching every generator anyway (that's at least in part why there
is an abstraction).