[cmake-developers] workflow

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jun 19 16:50:31 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 04:09 PM, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> Some small questions to the workflow:
>
> - I read on the workflow description site
>
> Topic Branch
>      Heads not published (no named branch on server)
>
> What does this mean? I see all the named branches.

I don't know to what text you refer.  Where did you read this?

> - And when I start browsing at
>      http://cmake.org/gitweb
> the stage repository is not listed, is this by accident?

We intentionally left it out to avoid confusing people looking
for the CMake repo.  Developers get the link to the stage from
the Wiki:

 http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git#Repositories

> - Is cmake.git automatically synchronized with stage/master
>    and stage/next?

Yes.  Actually it is the other way: stage/(master|next) are
fetched from origin/(master|next).  Scripts running in the
stage repo construct the merges but do not update the branches
locally.  Instead the merges must be pushed to origin and
then fetched back from there.  That avoids races between
pushes to the two repos.

The general topic stage workflow is documented here:

 http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Stage

with ascii-art history diagrams at each step.