[cmake-developers] Adding logic to CMake for -fPIE and -fPIC

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jun 8 13:00:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 06/08/2012 11:16 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > David Cole wrote:
> >
> >> Please eradicate that, and then this topic will be ready for merging.
> >>

> > It looks like the unit test is not being executed on the FarAway linux
> > continuous build.
> >
> > That started yesterday, and as it is continuous (unclean?), I thought a
> > clean build today would resolve it, but it is still not being executed
> > today.
> >
> > Can we find out why that is?
>
> This change:
>
>  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=f65b5083
>
> means that the test won't run if CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION
> is not set while CMake itself is configuring.  The value
> will only be set if CMake is built by another CMake that
> is 2.8.8 or later.  Currently our minimum required version
> is 2.8.2, so anything in between will not run this test.
>
> -Brad
> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

And most of the dashboards are driven by pre-2.8.8, so this means that this
change unintentionally/accidentally stopped it from running on a bunch of
dashboards.

You can see where it stopped running today where all the "-1" values are in
the Test/Pass column on the dashboard.

Bleeehhhhhhhh.

;-)
David