[cmake-developers] ninja failing CompileCommandOutput

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Tue Jun 5 05:07:38 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/2012 10:25 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> > On 6/1/2012 1:55 PM, Brad King wrote:
> >> The generator is supposed to produce a file that lists all the
> >> compiler invocation command lines in a JSON format.  The test
> >> runs a build with the option and then runs a program that reads
> >> the generated file and re-plays the commands.  The test and its
> >> C++ program should not need modification because it works for the
> >> Makefile generator.  The Ninja generator will need to generate
> >> the properly encoded commands like the Makefile generator does.
> >
> > Seems like the json file is reasonable:
> >
> >    "command": "C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~1.0\\VC\\bin\\cl.exe   /nologo
> > /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000 /EHsc /GR /D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od
> > /RTC1 -I\"c:\\Users\\hoffman\\Work\\My
> > Builds\\NinjaCMake\\Tests\\CompileCommandOutput\\..\\..\\Source\"
> > /TP
> > /FoCMakeFiles/CompileCommandOutput.dir/compile_command_output.cxx.obj
> > /FdTARGET_PDB -c \"c:\\Users\\hoffman\\Work\\My
> >
> Builds\\NinjaCMake\\Tests\\CompileCommandOutput\\compile_command_output.cxx\"",
> >    "file": "c:\\Users\\hoffman\\Work\\My
> >
> Builds\\NinjaCMake\\Tests\\CompileCommandOutput\\compile_command_output.cxx"
> > },
> >
> > the test driver should be able to read a file with \\ in it,
> > and the generator output is fine.
>
> The topic was first brought up here:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/3678
>
> Context of this discussion:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/3774
>
> Origin of parser in question:
>
>  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=0e6b05fc
>
> Manuel, as author of this parser can you comment please?

>From taking a very high level look it seems to me like the parser probably
needs fixing on Windows - I unfortunately don't have a Windows machine
around (I really need to get one ...), but I think disabling it for Windows
is fine for now - as Stephen points out in a later email clang tooling for
Windows is not that useful yet due to clang restrictions. If somebody
expresses a strong need for the Windows fixes, I can prioritize them;
please let me know in that case.

Cheers,
/Manuel