[cmake-developers] Ninja generator on Windows

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Feb 19 22:37:30 EST 2012

Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
writes:

[snip]

> I found that on Windows (on my machine at least), some try_compile
> runs were non-deterministic, and this caused build failures in CMake.
> I also encountered the issue Oscar mentioned in the other thread
> regarding the pdb file being locked (maybe the two issues are
> related).

It was Peter Kümmel who mentioned the problem about locked files (and
there was no mention of pdb files) but I'm interested anyways. Can you
describe the problem?

Long time ago there was a locking problem with pdb files on Clang when
doing top-level parallel builds (something only a few VS do). It
consisted on having an .exe and a .dll with the same name (clang.exe and
clang.dll). When clang.exe was created, clang.pdb was created as
well. But clang.dll generates clang.pdb too... Basically, the build was
broken due to a name collision. Even when the build did not stop due to
clang.pdb being locked, it was wrong anyways because we were overwriting
the debug file of either clang.exe or clang.dll. So we decided to rename
clang.dll to libclang.dll.

> But I was able to successfully compile most of LLVM/Clang on Windows.

Where did it failed?