[cmake-developers] find_package error wording

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 17:05:14 EST 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012, Brad King wrote:
> On 2/17/2012 4:01 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > There is now a branch FindPackage_CONFIG_MODE_MODULE_MODE which has the
> > two keywords, but doesn't change the behaviour yet.
> > So there wasn't a lot to change in the documentation or tests.
> > I'll do the modified behaviour together with the policy.
>
> Looks good.

I'm just implementing the warnings....
There is a problem with the new keywords.

If I make the warning "... use the CONFIG_MODE keyword ..." and the developer
does this then, then his project will not work anymore with older cmake
versions, because they don't know CONFIG_MODE.

If the warning says instead "... use the NO_MODULE keyword ..." then the
project will still work with old and new cmake versions correctly.

I think the nicer MODULE_MODE and CONFIG_MODE keywords are not worth breaking
backward compatibility of users projects (not cmake) this way.

Alex