[cmake-developers] Bad error message when a package could not be found - make find_package() not search config files by default

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 16 12:10:20 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 February 2012, Brad King wrote:
> >> but I do not want to require every project to change almost every
> >> find_package call and generate a policy warning about every call in
> >> every old project release.
> >
> > My impression is that config.cmake files are not yet wide spread.
> [snip]
> > I mean, it may not be problem yet, because maybe 90 percent of the
> > find_packages() calls use Find-modules, but I am quite sure it will
> become
> > one.
>
> So your proposal when no extra find_package mode arg is given is:
>
> - search for FindFoo.cmake, use if found
> - if not found, check new policy setting
> - if not set, warn and follow OLD behavior
> - if set to OLD, enter config mode and use current error if not found
> - if set to NEW, present error about no FindFoo in module path
>
> ?
>
> Separately the CONFIG and MODULE explicit mode args can be given
> to be alternative to NO_MODULE.
>
> -Brad
> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

I'm not seeing this as a huge problem.

A failed find_package means that some package that your project depends on
cannot be found.

If a developer can't figure out that means he has to build/install that
package correctly first, then what chance does he have building your
software at all?

The error message we have is very clear, although fairly verbose, giving
multiple ways to attempt correcting the problem.

I don't think we need to change anything in a hurry here.

David