[cmake-developers] Bad error message when a package could not be found - make find_package() not search config files by default

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 16 10:59:45 EST 2012

On 2/16/2012 10:30 AM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> In any of the above modes the error message can be more explicit.
>> It is up to the author of the project to choose to do this.  I do
>> not want it to be required.
>
> Here we disagree. I think it should be required, to avoid the impression
> "finding packages with cmake is a total mess" among users who don't know the
> details of cmake package searching.

I'm not opposed to trying to make the messages easier to understand,
but I do not want to require every project to change almost every
find_package call and generate a policy warning about every call in
every old project release.

As I said in the part of my message you did not quote in the response
the problem is the error message does not know who is reading it.  If
we can solve that problem then we can make the message say what the
reader needs to see.