[cmake-developers] ninja broken on windows?

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Feb 15 17:52:16 EST 2012

On 15.02.2012 19:31, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> OK, so ninja does not seem to work on windows for me...
>
> I got ninja from here:
>
>    git://github.com/martine/ninja.git
> branch master
>
> I got cmake from here:
>     remotes/stage/ninja-generator
>

> I removed the if(UNIX) in the cmake tree and built cmake with ninja
> support.

I've patched Peter C.'s branch for Windows:

	https://github.com/syntheticpp/CMake/commits/ninja-generator-pr-win

It compiles fine, but the generator defines some obsolete variables.

ATM vanilla ninja doesn't support "response" files for long command line argument.
There is a patch in the pipe line, but the maintainer seems too busy to work on ninja.

I've patched ninja with response file support and it builds CMake with the current generator:

	https://github.com/syntheticpp/ninja/tree/token-splitter

But I don't think I could get this patch upstream (the command line is parsed for '&&').

In summary:
     - use the CMakeLists.txt from https://github.com/syntheticpp/ninja/tree/cmake
     - on Windows use ninja from https://github.com/syntheticpp/ninja/tree/token-splitter
       and wait and see what happens with official ninja

Peter