[cmake-developers] Ninja generator on Windows

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:59:45 EST 2012

2012/2/2 Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:

> Sorry for asking a question without looking into the details first...
> But....

No problem.

> Why does the ninja generator need to use &&?  I am pretty sure the other
> CMake generators do not need to use &&.

Most of them come from the working directory: cd foo && g++
They could be worked around easly by adding a new variable to the rules.

Others comes from the support of PRE_BUILD, POST_BUILD, and custom
target / commands with more than one command. In ninja, contrary to
make, when specifying a build statement (e.g. foo.o: foo.c foo.h) you
can "attach" only one rule (e.g. one command) and not several like in
make.

They have been several discussion thread for adding basic "shell"
features like in Ninja:
- redirection
- environment variable
- working directory