[cmake-developers] Review request: qt4-target-depends

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:09:23 EST 2012

clinton at elemtech.com wrote:

> I'm already aware of the distinction.

Great. That wasn't clear from your email talking about all dependencies of
QtDeclarative instead of just the public ones.

> Granted, UseQt4.cmake doesn't know
> if imported targets are being used or not, and probably cannot be reduced
> to the public dependencies.

Yes, I think the 'module dependencies' from the point of view of cmake
determining that the library exists and has been found on the system is
different to the 'public link dependencies'.

> But, aren't you still missing the private dependencies so that the
> -rpath-link flag (for Linux/GNU) can be added to specify the location of
> the private dependencies?

That is not in the intended scope of my change. My change is about the
public link dependencies.

If you know how to specify the private dependencies correctly, we can have
that patch depend on my patch. I'm focussing on the public link
dependencies.

> Maybe we can always use imported targets in FindQt4.cmake, then end up
> with one place to specify public & private dependencies.

The IMPORTED targets are available in UseQt4.cmake. The public dependencies
(and private dependencies, if you populate them there in some way) can be
read from the IMPORTED targets in UseQt4.cmake.

That's also out of the scope of my patch though. I'm trying to get a patch
that is self-contained and useful in. I'm not trying to fix all possible
issues with FindQt4 at once. There are more other and useful things to do,
but this is the largest issue and the one with the biggest gain.

Do you think my patch is not self-contained and useful enough as it is to go
in?