[cmake-developers] Review request: qt4-target-depends

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:06:38 EST 2012

clinton at elemtech.com wrote:

> Is the list of dependencies complete?

I think so. I made the lists of dependencies by using ldd and grepping for
use of headers of particular modules by particular modules.

> For example, you list only Script,
> Gui, Core for QtDeclarative, but objdump -p libQtDeclarative.so gives
> Script, Svg, Sql, XmlPatterns, Gui, Network and Core. The list you added
> to enumerate dependencies has a few differences than the one already in
> UseQt4.cmake.

Yes. Note that not everything QtDeclarative links to is a public link
dependency. The comment in the patch gives an example:

+  # Only public dependencies are listed here.
+  # Eg, QtDBus links to QtXml, but users of QtDBus do not need to
+  # link to QtXml because QtDBus only uses it internally, not in public
+  # headers.

> How about having one list?

The QT_<MODULE>_MODULE_DEPENDS variables in UseQt4.cmake have a different
purpose. They are more like the output of objdump you posted. If using
QtDeclarative, then Script, Svg, Sql, XmlPatterns, Gui, Network and Core
must be available on the system. That does not mean that everyone who links
to QtDeclarative must also link to Script, Svg, Sql, XmlPatterns, Gui,
Network and Core.

That is the distinction of 'public' ("If you link to this you have to link
to that") versus 'private' ("I link to this, but that does not mean you have
to") link dependencies. Is that distinction clear to you now?