[cmake-developers] Request for Comments: Will implementing an interactive CMake debugger be welcome?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Dec 25 10:14:46 EST 2012

Hi all,

following a discussion we had on ##llvm on irc.oftc.net (the main LLVM channel,
because LLVM+clang can be built using CMake), I've been wondering if you would
like someone (like me) to implement an interactive debugger (or debugging
"mode") for cmake invocations, similar to gdb, "perl -d", pdb.py, etc.? I saw
this thread:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-July/030728.html

Where it was recommended to use cmake --trace, and I've been using MESSAGE
( ... ) and MESSAGE (FATAL_ERROR ...) for most of my debugging, but I'm
interested in something better.

I can try working on it given the time and motivation (in a separate git
branch on a GitHub/Bitbucket repository), but I want to get a green light for
it, because once introduced, it naturally should be supported in the future
(and if I'm going to write it, I am willing to help support it).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish