[cmake-developers] Setting include directories via target_link_libraries() ?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sat Dec 22 10:07:53 EST 2012

On 12/21/2012 7:18 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I don't think all the information is available from either side of the
> debate on new-command vs use-tll. I'd like to defer the details of the
> porcelain API for now and focus instead on the plumbing API and
> implementation.

We will use the new command.  It makes backward compatibility almost
trivial.  In an earlier post I explained why include dirs should be
needed for everything in the link closure, but I think that will come
naturally when projects switch fully to target_use_interfaces.

> I'll try to split up the commits in my branch a bit to put all the porcelain
> use-tll commits at the end, and we can focus on the plumbing commits.
>
> First I'd like to solidify and finish what's there (eg, I haven't yet
> documented the INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES property), get it reviewed,
> then add COMPILE_OPTIONS and LINK_OPTIONS and their INTERFACE variants, then
> add new generator expressions such as $<LANGUAGE:lang>.
>
> After that I'd like to return to the questions around the porcelain API.

Fine with me.  I've been drafting a new message about how to do the
policy for INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES, the most critical part of this
transition.  Hopefully I'll have it ready to post soon.