[cmake-developers] Setting include directories via target_link_libraries() ?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Dec 18 10:55:33 EST 2012

On 12/18/2012 10:38 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> I'll defer my thoughts on details of defining and exporting each
>> part of the interface for a future message after we've discussed
>> the overall approach.
>
> I think it would be more helpful to understanding your proposal if you
> detail those now instead.
>
> So far I don't understand your proposal. I don't see how it could work and
> satisfy the goals we've been discussing until now.

I'm not sure when I'll have time to write out all the details, but here
is a summary of the approach.

When building a given target users will not necessarily populate the
LINK_LIBRARIES, INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES, or COMPILE_DEFINITIONS properties
for the target's dependencies.  Instead users will use the new command
to populate a USE_INTERFACES property.  At generate time that property
will be used to accumulate values from INTERFACE_-like properties on
the named interfaces and append them to LINK_LIBRARIES, etc.