[cmake-developers] [CMake 0013799]: Optionally disable build order dependency target_link_libraries

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Sun Dec 16 09:00:22 EST 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=13799
Reported By:                Christian Rorvik
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   13799
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2012-12-16 09:00 EST
Last Modified:              2012-12-16 09:00 EST
target_link_libraries adds transitive link dependencies and build order
dependencies between the target and its dependencies. In many (if not most)
cases the build order dependency is not necessary and results in an overlay
constrained dependency graph, which limits parallel execution of the build.

Short of discarding transitive link dependencies and maintain all dependencies
in each final target, I haven't found a CMake script workaround for this
problem.

I tried soliciting some feedback over the CMake mailing list earlier this year,
without any response: http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2012-July/051351.html

I found  modifying the source to not add these build order dependencies for
static libraries was easy enough, and I was hoping there would be some interest
in finding some way of adopting this feature into the product.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change