[cmake-developers] General Config.cmake file issue on ArchLinux

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 06:24:54 EST 2012

On Thursday 06 December 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 December 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >
> >> I don't fully follow (too much 'the example' etc :)), but I guess it's
> >> not too important. I think the two cases we're talking about are clear
> >>
> >> * Installing to a location where one or more locations below
> >> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} are symlinks
> >> * Installing to a location where locations below ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}
> >> are not symlinks, but creating a symlink from outside the prefix to
> >> inside it.
> >
> > Should find_package() maybe check whether any of the directories in its
> > search list actually refer to the same directory, and warn in this case ?
>
> That could be a good idea if it can work.

I had a look at the code.
The Config-searching code tries to look into a lot of directories, and stops
when it finds the first good Config file.

To add such a check, this means once a good Config file has been found,
basically cmake has to run again over all possible directories (i.e. without
stopping after it has found something) and check for all existing directories
whether they are a symlink to the Config file it has found.
If so, print a warning.

This is quite some effort to generate a warning.

It may have a runtime effect, and it will also need quite some code.

I'm a bit hesitant to do that, if it is only for generating a warning...

Alex