[cmake-developers] Bug tracker: I need your help

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Aug 13 07:35:16 EDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I need your help. In the next week, if you have time.

No doubt you're already sick of reading the emails about the bug
tracker from the last couple of days.

My main goal here is simply to be able to get a good picture of what's
really happening by inspecting bug tracker query results.

Goals:
- have ZERO "new" bugs that are older than a week or two (new bugs
should be assigned to somebody working on them, or sent to the backlog
if nobody can take it on in the next 3 or 4 months)
- have "assigned" actually mean that the assigned developer is
actively working on the bug for the next release of CMake (or perhaps
the release after that)
- have everything else in the "backlog" for future consideration as
developers become available to work on them

So, to help achieve these goals, I'd like to ask for your help as follows:

- please review your "assigned" bugs (606 among all of us) - if you
will work at fixing it for CMake 2.8.10, set the Target Version field.
If not, please change its status to "backlog." If you will work on it
later, feel free to keep it assigned to you even while it's in the
backlog. If you think it should belong to somebody else, please assign
it to them for review, or assign it to nobody and just get it into the
"backlog"

- please review the 30 "new" bugs that are not yet assigned -- the
ones that are left as new after my en masse send to backlog operations
from the weekend are only from the last month of new bug submissions.
If you can take one on, please assign it to yourself, if not, I'll put
those in the backlog too after another week or so.

- please review the 16 bugs marked as "feedback" "acknowledged" or
"confirmed", all, if you can but especially those that are assigned to
you -- set these as "assigned" if you'll be working on them, assign to
somebody else if appropriate, or send to "backlog" if neither

After all of this, the bug tracker should be in pretty good shape, and
perhaps even indicate what people are actually working on for 2.8.10.

Our average release (2.8.3 to 2.8.9) contains just 79 bug fixes. I'd
like to be able to put about 60 to 80 on the roadmap for 2.8.10, and
have the rest in the backlog for future consideration. That means that
about 580 or so bugs are about to go to the "backlog."

Thanks, thanks, THANKS! for your help,
David