[cmake-developers] [CMake 0013461]: Ninja: linker response file gets expanded, command to long

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Aug 7 08:40:39 EDT 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Andreas Langs
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   13461
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   block
Date Submitted:             2012-08-07 08:40 EDT
In my project a .dll is created with about 680 .obj and .lib files linked in.
I use cmake 2.8.9-rc3, ninja, cl.exe v15.

The call to the linker created by the ninja generator looks like this:

c:\cmake-2.9.0\bin\cmake.exe -E vs_link_dll
C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\VC\bin\amd64\link.exe /nologo @foo.dll.rsp  /out:foo.dll

This call fails because the .rsp file is expanded by "cmake.exe -E vs_link_dll"
and its content given to link.exe on the command line which then becomes to long
and is cropped.
I can see this very long command by setting the environment variable VERBOSE=1.

When I prevent cmake.exe from touching the .rsp file (by modifing
cmake.cxx:4020) my big project builds just fine.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change