[cmake-developers] bug in cmake 2.8.8?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Apr 26 09:29:49 EDT 2012

Being able to reproduce it and then using git bisect would pinpoint
the exact commit responsible. Can we reproduce it on one of our
systems?

However: this (commit c91a54db) seems like a behavior-changing commit.
But if this is the source of it, then 2.8.7 is incorrectly allowing
the configure to complete, and they're probably not getting what they
think they're getting. So... I'd argue that 2.8.8 is correct and that
the project's CMakeLists files should be fixed to work with 2.8.8 (and
they should still also work with 2.8.7 at that point...)

If this is not actually the source of the problem, then I'll retract
my argument and view new evidence with fresh eyes. :-)

commit c91a54db3766aea8f8ab9d5a011db3bba67b12d4
Author: Alex Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
Date:   Tue Mar 6 21:16:24 2012 +0100

    find_package: error out if REQUIRED Config has not been found

    If in Config mode a configuration file could not be found, cmake printed
    an error, but did not actually stop processing. With SetFatalErrorOccured
    it does.

    Alex

FYI -- for reference, I used the following commands to see what
changed from 2.8.7 to 2.8.8 and then scanned the output looking for
commits that "sound like" they might have changed behavior...

  git log v2.8.7..v2.8.8 -- Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake
  git log v2.8.7..v2.8.8 -- Source/cmFindPackageCommand.*

David C.