[cmake-developers] Ninja: Regressions re. def file handling with MSVC

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 2 09:49:50 EDT 2012

On 4/2/2012 9:11 AM, Amine Khaldi wrote:
>> CMake recognizes the ".def" extension automatically. Don't mark it with
>> the EXTERNAL_OBJECT property because that tells CMake to treat it as an
>> external .obj file. If you remove that mark do things work correctly?
> I just removed that property from the gcc build. Now with both MSVC and gcc builds I get
>
> ninja: ERROR: 'foo.def', needed by 'bar.dll', missing and no known rule to make it.
>
> If I revert the commit I mentioned before, it works and the def file is handled correctly.

CMake has the ModuleDefinition test covering .def handling:

   http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Tests/ModuleDefinition/CMakeLists.txt;hb=a2514f15

and it passes on our nightly testing both before and after the change
in question.  Your use case must be different from what that test covers.
Can you provide a minimal source tarball to reproduce the problem?