[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 22 09:38:59 EDT 2011

On 9/22/2011 9:32 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> This is not the first time this has come up:
>
> http://forums.netbeans.org/post-115308.html
>
> CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
>

> Does the rc compiler not always ship with mingw? I think we added support for it about 6 months ago. Thoughts on this?

Note the location of MinGW in that report:

   C:/Qt/qtcreator-2.3.0/mingw/bin/gcc.exe

I bet that is some kind of custom environment created by QtCreator.
Since Qt does its own thing for resources it probably doesn't need
a Windows resource compiler.

The resource compiler is obscure enough that it is a shame to make
it a showstopper for building C code with CMake and MinGW.  Can we
delay the error until we actually find a resource file that needs
compiling?