[cmake-developers] cmake-2.8.5 build error on the MinGW/MSYS/wine platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Sep 16 22:55:43 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-16 16:46-0400 Brad King wrote:

> On 9/16/2011 4:40 PM, Brad King wrote:
>> As expected upstream libarchive already fixed this:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/source/detail?r=3649
>
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=8dfe74c3

Hi Brad, Bill, and Dave:

As anticipated, that version of the patch (for cmake-2.8.5) works
for me on Wine.

@ Brad: Thanks for trying my suggestion that older MinGW/MSYS
installers might not be so good at updating to get you the latest
version of MinGW/MSYS.

@ Bill: Thanks for the encouragement to keep pursuing this issue.

@ Dave: Thanks for noticing the bug report that had the same broken
build issue that I was having on Wine which was the key breakthrough
in my opinion.

This has been a tough one for me because (i) my Wine environment is slow
(each cmake build takes more than an hour because of a nasty 1-second command
startup latency issue for each command run by cmake and make), (ii)
too many possibilities (Wine, CMake, or MinGW) for the source of the
issue, and (iii) many preprocessor directives that made it virtually
impossible to eyeball the code to see what was wrong (although gcc -E
-dD eventually came to the rescue there).

Anyhow, I am very glad that the CMake code finally has a solution for
this issue!

Alan

Alan W. Irwin