[cmake-developers] cmake-2.8.5 build error on the MinGW/MSYS/wine platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Sep 15 04:12:42 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-14 21:54-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2011-09-01 05:45-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> On 2011-08-28 14:34-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> Can you try and build CMake 2.8.4, then 2.8.3 and see what happens?

> [...]I thought wine-1.3.27 might have been to culprit, but it turns out I
> was just now able to generate the same cmake-2.8.5 build error with
> MinGW/MSYS/wine-1.3.26.  On that same platform, and with the binary
> version of cmake-2.8.5 (which worked very well for me with ephcom2) I
> will now attempt builds of cmake-2.8.4 and earlier to see whether the
> cmake-2.8.5 build error I am getting is a cmake-source code regression
> for this fixed platform.

There is exactly the same build error when attempting to build
cmake-2.8.4 and 2.8.3 using binary cmake-2.8.5 and when attempting to
build 2.8.3 with binary cmake-2.8.3.  I have built cmake-2.8.3
successfully before with binary cmake-2.8.3 on a MinGW/MSYS/wine
platform so this appears to be some incompatibility of cmake builds
with either (i) recent versions of wine or (ii) recent versions of
MinGW/MSYS.

To eliminate the latter possibility, could somebody please try to
build cmake with the "MSYS Makefiles" generator on Windows?  It
literally is only a 5 minute download to install the required
MinGW/MSYS these days (see below).

>> That automatic installer (available
>> at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated MinGW
>> Installer/mingw-get-inst/)
>> literally takes about 5 minutes to download and install all of
>> MinGW/MSYS on wine, and I am sure that it would even be faster
>> on Windows.  Is there anybody game to try the build
>> of cmake on Windows using the latest MinGW/MSYS stack you
>> install with the automatic installer?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin