[cmake-developers] [CMake 0012442]: find_library iterates through paths before names

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Sep 2 16:20:43 EDT 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                khusmann
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   12442
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2011-09-02 16:20 EDT
find_library will check all the paths in its search before moving to the next
name to check. I would expect it to work the opposite way: checking all the
names before it moves to the next path. If the former detection scheme is
intentional, it should be specified in the documentation.

Steps to Reproduce:
Given a CMakeLists:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
find_library(foo NAMES boost_system-mt boost_system HINTS /packages/boost/lib)
message(STATUS ${foo})

And if the following files exist:
/packages/boost/lib/libboost_system.so
/usr/lib/libboost_system-mt.so

It will find /usr/lib/libbost_system-mt.so instead of
/packages/boost/lib/libboost_system.so as I would expect. (Because the
directories in HINTS should be completely searched before system directories
are)

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change