[cmake-developers] cmake-2.8.5 build error on the MinGW/MSYS/wine platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Sep 1 08:45:42 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-28 14:34-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Can you try and build CMake 2.8.4, then 2.8.3 and see what happens?

Given many hours of computer time (remember the severe latency issue), yes.
I will get to this eventually, but other projects and computer issues are currently
delaying it.

Meanwhile, it would be good to obtain some response to
the following questions:

>> If you compare the types of archive_read_data and
>> archive_read_data_into_buffer in archive_read.c versus
>> archive.h, the *.c versions are
>>
>> ssize_t
>> archive_read_data(struct archive *_a, void *buff, size_t s)
>>
>> int
>> archive_read_data_into_buffer(struct archive *a, void *d, ssize_t len)
>>
>> while the *.h versions are
>>
>> __LA_DECL __LA_SSIZE_T archive_read_data(struct archive *,
>> void *, size_t);
>>
>> __LA_DECL int archive_read_data_into_buffer(struct archive *,
>> void *buffer, __LA_SSIZE_T len);
>>
>> So it appears on the MinGW/MSYS/wine platform at least that
>>
>> something is screwed up with the __LA_DECL and/or __LA_SSIZE_T macros.
>>
>> [...]but we should know more about that if somebody can tell
>> me where the above macros are #defined.

???

Also,

>> Has anybody tried that version [latest MinGW/MSYS installer,
version 20110802] of MinGW/MSYS on Microsoft Windows to
>> build cmake-2.8.5? It is possible the same build-time error will show
>> up under those conditions.

(which would immediately remove wine from the question, and my part
in this thread would be done since I have no access to Microsoft
Windows.)

That automatic installer (available
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated MinGW
Installer/mingw-get-inst/)

literally takes about 5 minutes to download and install all of
MinGW/MSYS on wine, and I am sure that it would even be faster
on Windows.  Is there anybody game to try the build
of cmake on Windows using the latest MinGW/MSYS stack you
install with the automatic installer

???

Alan
Alan W. Irwin