[cmake-developers] [Development] Installing Qt5Config.cmake from the Qt repo?

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Fri Oct 28 08:21:23 EDT 2011

On Friday, October 28, 2011 13:56:20 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 28 de October de 2011 13:13:20 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > * If you want to be easily found for others to depend on, you write a
> >
> >     <Package>Config.cmake file and install it to a location CMake
> >     will use>
> > to   find things like that. I assume this is similar to how pkgconfig
> > works, but I have never used pkgconfig.
>
> Just like pkgconfig, I'd recommend that we make it one file per library, not
> one global Qt5Config.cmake.

What I want to investigate (I haven't yet, but I'm confident it will work) is
if we can have both. We could have Qt5Core.cmake, Qt5Gui.cmake etc, and
Qt5Config would be an aggregate which include()s the other configs based on the
FIND_COMPONENTS.

find_package(Qt5 COMPONENTS QtCore)
or
find_package(Qt5 COMPONENTS QtGui)

for example.

> Alternatively, let's be very clear: it's Qt5EssentialsConfig.cmake and it
> includes NO other Qt addon. For those addons, they need to provide the
> Config files themselves.

Can you remind me where to find out what Qt5Essentials is or where I can find
out? Searching in http://wiki.qt-project.org/ isn't throwing up anything. Is
it roughly the contents of qtbase.git? Or does it include qtdeclarative.git
too?

Details like what would be included in Qt5Config could be discussed once
there's some prototyping happening. I don't really feel strongly about it as
long as it's roughly equivalent to what was made available by FindQt4.cmake.

I'll wait a bit for other objections before prototyping though anyway. Then we
can start looking at the real details.

Stephen Kelly <stephen at kdab.com> | Software Engineer