[cmake-developers] [CMake 0012540]: Error configuring project using Intel Fortran with Visual Studio generator

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Oct 26 04:47:23 EDT 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Martin Apel
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   12540
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2011-10-26 04:47 EDT
We have a project setup, which uses C, C++ and Fortran. Additionally we have
defined custom build types with compile flags for these build types.
Up to 2.8.6-rc2 this project could be configured using the Visual Studio 9 2008
generator without problems. Since 2.8.6-rc3 (and also the final 2.8.6 release)
the configuration step generates errors related to our custom build types:

-- Check for working Fortran compiler using: Visual Studio 9 2008
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS_NOOPT
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_NOOPT
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS_DEBUGWARN
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUGWARN

The suffixes DEBUGWARN and NOOPT stem from our custom build types.
Unfortunately I have not succeeded in creating a small sample project, which
reproduces the problem.

Performing the same configuration with other generators such as NMake on Windows
or Make on Linux succeeds without problems.

Additional Information:
I have attached to trace files generated by cmake-2.8.6-rc2 and cmake-2.8.6-rc3
when calling cmake -G "Visual Studio 9 2008" --trace <source dir>

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change