[cmake-developers] Apple tests for target_link_libraries failing

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Oct 11 08:03:47 EDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 2:33 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out why the target_link_libraries unit tests are failing
> on some platforms (but not mine...). I'm enabling one platform at a time. I
> enabled the failing tests for APPLE, so if you want to try it out, you need
> to comment out the if(APPLE).

So, the test is still failing on the dashboard now right?  I see it
failed last night on all the macs, and on the continuous this morning.
  So, what do we need to comment out?  Are you going to at least
temporarily fix the dashboard test failures today?  Did you mean to say
if(NOT APPLE) maybe?

The test output from these tests are very hard for me to parse:

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=118663911&build=1614189

Something is failing but I have no idea what.  Perhaps you could
annotate the tests a bit more so that it prints out a test name or
something.

"Testing link with CLEAR_LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES=TRUE,
SPECIFY_LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES = TRUE
test # 2.

Or maybe even put a name into the expect_fail calls so that when it
fails you can easily go back to the line in the CMakeLists.txt where the
expect_fail is called.    Maybe the test should print out the
CMakeLists.txt file that was generated for it?

So, in this case:
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=118663911&build=1614189

What is it you can not see in your output?

It looks to me that for each of them it is linking everything:

  /usr/bin/g++-4.2 -Wall -Wextra -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-nonliteral -Wunused
   -Wpointer-arith -Winvalid-pch -Wcast-align -Wdisabled-optimization
   -Wnewline-eof -fdiagnostics-show-option -Woverloaded-virtual -Wshadow
   -Wwrite-strings -g -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -arch ppc
   -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -Wl,-search_paths_first
   -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names CMakeFiles/exec.dir/main.cpp.o -o exec

/Users/builder/kitware/CMake-gcc-dbg-ppc/Tests/CMakeCommands/target_link_libraries/libs_build_True_True/liblibC.dylib

/Users/builder/kitware/CMake-gcc-dbg-ppc/Tests/CMakeCommands/target_link_libraries/libs_build_True_True/liblibA.dylib

/Users/builder/kitware/CMake-gcc-dbg-ppc/Tests/CMakeCommands/target_link_libraries/libs_build_True_True/liblibB.dylib

If that is true, then the issue must be in the generator some how...

However, I am not really sure if I am looking at the right link line....

Bottom line, can you make the test pass again, and what experiment do
you want someone on a mac to do for you?

-Bill