[cmake-developers] [CMake 0012283]: Cmake -E echo kills performance of MinGW Makefiles

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Thu Jun 16 15:07:19 EDT 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12283
Reported By:                Jérôme Gardou
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   12283
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   tweak
Date Submitted:             2011-06-16 15:07 EDT
Instead of '@echo some text', MinGW Makefiles generator use '@cmake -E echo
"some text"'

Quoting cmake source code comment :

// mingw32-make has trouble running code like
//
//  @echo message with spaces
//
// If quotes are added
//
//  @echo "message with spaces"
//
// it runs but the quotes are displayed.  Instead just use cmake to
// echo.

which I am unable to confirm. Maybe an old version of mingw32-make?

Furthermore, using @echo avoids garbage output in case of a parallel build

Please find patch attached :-)

Steps to Reproduce:
Just trigger a mingw32-make help into the build directory of a library, and
benchmark it with/without the patch. I can see the difference even with a medium
sized library.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
0004-MinGW-Makefile-Generator-use-native-echo-command.patch