[cmake-developers] Getting some stuff from KDE into cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 15:30:17 EDT 2011

On Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:09:57 AM Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently at the KDE Platform Sprint, where we (a bunch of KDE
> developers) are discussing how to move on with the KDE platform.
> This includes some things regarding cmake.
> When we introduced cmake in KDE, there were not that many other free
> projects using cmake, so our cmake extensions was added to kdelibs, so all
> users of kdelibs have it available.
> The situation has changed in the last 5 years, and now more and more
> projects "before" kdelibs are using cmake, and they'd like to have some of
> those things available too.
>
> So there is a string wish to get some of our cmake stuff upstreamed, some
> parts up into cmake, and some parts only half way up.
>
> So what I'm doing now is I'll write for each wish we have an email here,
> and it would be nice if you could check whether whether each one sounds
> reasonable or not.
>
> I am here at the sprint until Tuesday, so until then I'll have basically 4
> full days to work on the stuff. After that it'll be again only one or two
> hours in the evenings...

After the responses to my other mails I'd like to describe the situation we
are in a bit more.
We are using CMake in KDE now since more than 5 years (it was beginning 2006).
Since then hundreds of developers have started to use CMake in KDE, and I have
heard from many of our developers who are also software developer in their
real life, that they also introduced CMake at their workplace.

I didn't write the emails with the proposals because I'm bored and have
nothing better to do, but based on the experience and feedback from (hundreds
of) developers and also distro packagers during the last 5 years.
This is not every tiny module or every idea somebody came up with, but the
things which are used very widely or wishes which come up permanently from
many people.

So I'd appreciate if they could be considered seriously.

Alex