[cmake-developers] Integration of manpage installation

Werner Mahr werner at vollstreckernet.de
Tue Jun 7 09:47:46 EDT 2011

Eric Noulard wrote:

>> My suggestion is, to add a new property like man-source-dir or
>> somehow like that, and all pages in that dir are installed to the
>> right place if they start with the name of the corresponding
>> executable.

> Have a look at the new (in 2.8.4)  GnuInstallDirs.cmake module:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=3976

This Bug is about Vars for the installation-dirs, I'm thinking about
installation-process.

Usually manpages are named in sources like "cmake.1" and are installed
$mandir/1/cmake

or most often

$mandir/1/cmake.gz

So I want to implement functionality to allow the dwevs to just give the
place of manpage-sources and let cmake do all the steps:

<appname>

compress to <appname>.gz (maybe configurable)

install to $mandir/<section>/<appname>[.gz] or

If $mandir is given directly or configured in a var like your link
describes doesn't matter in this case. I don't know about other systems
like Linux, so maybe the process is different for other plattforms, but
at least in Linux-systems it would be a great help.

As I started porting amule to cmake I got stuck at exactly that point.
Google just pointed out hits where the poster got told to look how
others did it, but there's no generic solution. I would prefer to
provide such a generic solution instead of reinventing the wheel for
such a common task over and over again.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr