[cmake-developers] Improved support for using cmake-based libraries in non-cmake projects

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 6 09:44:20 EDT 2011

On 06/05/2011 07:14 PM, Eric Noulard wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
> cmake-config would be a [portable] script (or even minimalistic
> binary), which basically call
> a cmake script (for portability).

This may be technically challenging, especially for the link options.
CMake's link line generation happens at generation time and is not
accessible to the CMake language.  Furthermore, it depends on a lot
of information about the final library or executable because it is
an expert system [1] (e.g. implicit language runtime libraries for
mixed executables, transitive dependencies, etc.).

-Brad

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system