[cmake-developers] Adding CheckCXXSymbolsExists.cmake ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 15:41:06 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 06 July 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cmake has a CHECK_SYMBOL_EXISTS() macro for testing whether a symbol exists
> in a header /library.
>
> In KDE we have a slightly modified version of this,
> CHECK_CXX_SYMBOL_EXISTS(), which basically does the same, but using C++,
> so C++ headers can be checked.
>
> I'd like to add that to cmake.
> Any objections ?

I just found that I started with this already 5 years ago:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-developers/2006-September/000123.html

Conclusion was that it's ok, but the existing check_something() macros should
be renamed to check_something_C() and check_something_CXX() should be added.

Not sure I like that, since it would deprecate all existing check_something()
macros.

So, just go ahead with adding it as CHECK_CXX_SYMBOL_EXISTS() or
CHECK_SYMBOL_EXISTS_CXX() and if the macro name has no language in it, it is
implicitely C ?

Alex