[cmake-developers] Generating information for C++ tools in cmake (patch)

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Fri Jan 14 17:46:04 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 01/14/2011 01:58 PM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
>> Hm, I was actually going more for a bool option - I'd really like a
>> file name that's easily recognizable by a tool with minimal user
>> configuration.
>
> Sure.  If you are trying to create a standard file name/format then you
> should choose a marketable name for it.  That will make it recognizable,
> distinct, "googleable", and not tied to CMake or any build system.
> It will also provide a meaningful name for the CMake option:
>
> $ cmake ... -DCMAKE_EXPORT_$coolname=1

I'm currently trying to figure out the best point where to add that
option... Is there a good example I can base it on? So far I followed
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE through the code base, which suggests that I need to
- find a .cmake file in modules in which I can put the option
- document it in cmDocumentVariables

Anything I'm missing?
Thanks a lot,
/Manuel