[cmake-developers] Generating information for C++ tools in cmake (patch)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jan 14 08:25:04 EST 2011

On 01/13/2011 06:05 PM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
> I think that finding this file in the same spot relative to the base
> build directory independently of the build system used will make it a
> lot easier for tool-smiths / users to actually make use of it. If you
> want to hide it away, I'd vote for a more build system independent
> name than CMakeFiles.

CMake used to write lots of files to the top of the build tree but many
people complained about the verbosity, especially for in-source builds.
Now we hide as many files as possible under CMakeFiles/ subdirectories.
If the file must go in the top level then I'd prefer to enable it only
optionally as discussed previously.

>> About the content of the json file: I suggest that each command also
>> include a "language" field indicating "C", "C++", or "Fortran".
>
> I'd rather keep it focused for now, and add additional things later if
> you're ok with that.

Okay.  Does JSON support any kind of schema?