[cmake-developers] [CMake 0011899]: Put compiler's program database files into intermediate directory rather than output one for VS 2005

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Sat Feb 26 03:53:16 EST 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Yuri
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   11899
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   tweak
Date Submitted:             2011-02-26 03:53 EST
Last Modified:              2011-02-26 03:53 EST
Now in cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator.cxx the path for *compiler's* program
database files is hard-coded:
    // We need to specify a program database file name even for
    // non-debug configurations because VS still creates .idb files.
    fout <<  "\t\t\t\tProgramDataBaseFileName=\""
         << this->ConvertToXMLOutputPathSingle(
              target.GetDirectory(configName).c_str())
         << "/"
         << target.GetPDBName(configName) << "\"\n";

However, these files are temporary and used only by linker to produce the final
.pdb file. Moreover, these files aren't usable by debugger (AFAIK).

So the main complaint is when I put all output into single directory, it becomes
clogged with idb files. The things much worse when using tools like IncrediBuild
- it generates one idb file per source (or per job), therefore the number of
files there grows too rapidly.

Why not Just put $(IntDir) there, like it is done for object files? I suppose
this can solve other issues, like 0010370.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change