[cmake-developers] [CMake] CTest GIT support does not properly update recursive submodules

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Feb 18 11:18:00 EST 2011

On 02/18/2011 10:00 AM, Johan Björk wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Brad King wrote:
>     (1) Hard-code --recursive and add a check to error out if the Git
>     version is not new enough.
>
> (2) seems both complicated and confusing for end users. I would vote for
> (1) as if someone updates to the latest CMake on their machine, they
> shouldn't have any issues in upgrading the git version in use.

Basically this says that CTest will support only Git 1.6.5 or higher
even for projects that have no submodules at all, let alone recursive
ones, and even though it would work fine were it not for this option.

Perhaps instead we should detect whether any submodules are present
(e.g. is the .gitmodules file present at the top) and only enforce
the version number in that case.  Do you mind working on a patch for
this please?