[cmake-developers] [CMake 0011795]: Extending the STRING command with a FIND sub-command

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Feb 4 11:26:15 EST 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Tim Hütz
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   11795
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            N/A
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2011-02-04 11:26 EST
Last Modified:              2011-02-04 11:26 EST
Recently I was searching for a CMake option to get the position of a single
character (first appearance) out of a string. As I found nothing which could
provide me an easy solution, I pulled the latest development version and added a
FIND sub-command to the STRING command.

The attached patch supports a forward search (finds the first occurrence of the
substring) and a reverse search (which finds the last occurrence of a
substring).

Here is a sample how the sub-commands works:

-----

project( "STRING FIND command" )
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

set( TESTSTRING "This is a test and here is another test." )
string( FIND ${TESTSTRING} "a" APOSITION )
string( FIND REVERSE ${TESTSTRING} "a" APOSITIONREV )
message( STATUS "Firt position of character 'a' (8) is ${APOSITION}" )
message( STATUS "Last position of character 'a' (27) is ${APOSITIONREV}" )

-----

I've already discussed this sub-command on the CMake mailing list
(http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-February/042521.html).

Maybe, this would be a nice feature for one of the next CMake releases.

Best regards,
Tim

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
0001-Added-a-new-STRING-sub-command-called-FIND.patch