[cmake-developers] The CMake bug tracker and "the backlog" of unresolved issues

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 3 17:34:45 EST 2011

Hello CMakers,

The CMake issue tracker is located at:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug

All of the issues except for the most recent 15 or so have been assigned and
looked at by at least one CMake developer at one point in each issue's
history. However, not all issues that are assigned to developers are being
actively worked on. Personally, I have just over 100 issues assigned to me,
and I know it would take me on the order of months to work through all of
them, even if I were able to work on them full time.

I would like very much for us to introduce the notion of a "backlog" in the
CMake bug tracker, where we can send bugs that are not being actively worked
on, and we can review the backlog periodically for issues that should be
brought forward into active development again.

Since we do not have a status of "backlog" -- but we don't really use the
status values of "acknowledged" or "confirmed" very much, I am thinking we
could define "backlog" as:
 status=acknowledged
   AND
 assigned to="" (empty string, none)

As an exemplar, I just sent this one to the backlog by  setting its status
and de-assigning it:

Does this seem like a reasonable technique? Any comments or questions before
we start sending more things to the backlog?

When we send around the request (coming up soon, after the final 2.8.4
release is ready) to vote for your favorite issues... you'd still be able to
vote for things in the backlog. And if we can find somebody willing to do
the work, we'll assign it to them and set status=assigned again...

Let me know what you think -- thanks for reading,
David