[cmake-developers] target_include_directories branch in stage

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:54:41 EST 2011

Brad King wrote:

> On 11/29/2011 7:34 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> I worked on the functionality for per-config target includes, but the
>> syntax is not right yet.
>
> Please remove per-config support for now.

Do you mean I should remove the UI feature of setting the
INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES_DEBUG property adding to the include directories of the
debug config, or do you additionally mean that I should remove the current
implementation that keeps order and keeps the specified config.

The current implementation (std::vector<std::pair<std::string, std::string>
>) would work for the UI syntax you suggest below. It seems like removing
the implementation detail only for it to be re-added later when the UI
syntax is decided would be inefficient.

I'm fine with removing the INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES_<config> UI feature.

> With the approach I have in mind it will be a simple matter to add support
> for it after the main feature works.  I want to make the approach
> something
> general so it can be applied to other things like link directories.  The
> idea is to process the single list in the generator and look for special
> syntax that indicates whether each entry is meant for the current config.
>
> I haven't settled on a syntax yet but it will be similar to generator
> expressions from add_test and add_custom_command:
>
>   $<CONFIG?Debug:/dir/for/Debug>
>
> This entry would be ignored if the CONFIG? condition doesn't match.  The
> cmGeneratorExpression class can be used to evaluate it.

Ok. Is this something that should aim for post-2.8.7? Should I aim to get
taget specific INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES into 2.8.7 (within this week) and aim for
adding this config-specific feature later (would that be source
compatible?).