[cmake-developers] GenerateExportHeader macro in CMake?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 03:40:13 EDT 2011

Brad King wrote:

<snip>

>> This seems to be intended behaviour of try_compile.
>
> Yes, it is the intended behavior to do a cmake-time check well before the
> main build occurs.
>
>> Is there some workaround?
>
> There are a few approaches to try:
>
> (1) Use try_compile to build the libraries too.  The signature that
> accepts both a source and build tree will do a cmake-time build and leave
> the trees around.

I took this approach, and it seems to work fine.

>> I've so far only tried it on linux. It is still work in progress, but I
>> will test it on Windows too soon.
>
> Great.  We would like it to work everywhere it makes sense before
> including.

I've now also tested with MSVC and MinGW on Windows. I couldn't seem to get
cmake to work on cygwin though.

I'll see if I can test on Mac too before pushing to the cmake repo.

One question I have is: Will the unit tests for this be run on all platforms
before it gets to master? I suspect there may be breakage on systems I have
no access to, such as SunCC.

>> How do I get this into CMake? I understand that if it's in I have to
>> maintain it in the cmake git. Do I need to send a public ssh key
>> somewhere?
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers

Cool, I have push access now, so I'll review the workflow later.