[cmake-developers] Better Eclipse CDT support

Oliver Buchtala oliver.buchtala at jku.at
Thu Apr 28 17:30:27 EDT 2011

Am 28.04.2011 22:57, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2011, Oliver Buchtala wrote:
>> Forgot to feed the list...

>>> I built and installed it.
>>> I'm actually not really using Eclipse much myself, e.g. so I have never
>>> used working sets before.
>>>
>>> I tried to load it via Project Explorer -> Select Working Set -> Window
>>> Working Set -> Working set type: C/C++ and then selecting the
>>> builddir/eclipse/CMake.wst file.
>>> But now I'm not sure what to do with it.
>>> The normal targets and directory structure look like they did before, and
>>> in the eclipse/ directory there are a lot of empty directories starting
>>> with a "@".
>>>
>>> So, how do I use it ?
>>>
>>> Alex
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I have written down some things on
>> http://edge.substance.io/#oliver/CMakeEclipseCDT7
> I installed the plugin.
> Now I imported the working set CMake.wst instead of the project(s).
> I see three working sets: CMake, CMake/ALL and CMake/CTestDashboardTargets.
> When I select "Top Level Elements" -> Projects, I see nothing from them.
> When I select "Top Level Elements" -> "Working sets", I see them, e.g.
> the "CMake" one. When I try to click it open, it is empty. If I right-click
> it and "Go Into", the pane becomes empty.
> When I right-click and click "Properties", it shows me a dialog with the
> existing (other) projects, no cmake among them, and no directories are
> checked.
>
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> The wst file is attached.
>
> Alex
Hi Alex,

wst-file is allright and I see that all projects are generated :)

Unfortunately, this working set stuff is yet a bit inconvenient, as it
is not an Eclipse built-in.

What you need to do:
0. Switch to C/C++ perspective (maybe this is the empty project
observation you described?)
1. Import eclipse projects (all from the CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR)
 -> you see all projects flat side by side?
2. Import wst file
3. Goto 'Select Working Sets...' (in Project Explorer)
4. Select all (three) working sets
5. Goto 'Top Level Elements' (in Project Explorer) and activate 'Working
Sets'
Now you should see the projects within working sets

Note1: almost all are in the CMake working sets, as FOLDERs are only set
for MSVC generators
Note2: once I experienced that the working sets plugin spoiled my
workspace some how and I had import from scratch
after deleting .metadata in workspace directory and restart eclipse and
then redo that importing.

Helps?

I want to create an Eclipse Plugin which shall make all this more
convenient and more automatically.
Something like a CMake enabling 'Solution' file that manages imported
projects and working sets etc...
But yet I am a PDE beginner... so, this will take some more weeks...

Bye,
Oliver