[cmake-developers] Generating information for C++ tools in cmake (patch)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 5 09:19:06 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 08:33 AM, Brad King wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 12:01 PM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
>> Done.
>
> Thanks!

While running the test on more platforms I ran into a problem.  On
Windows makefile tools like Borland and NMake we use custom inline
response file syntax to handle long command lines:

  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/Platform/Windows.cmake;hb=v2.8.4#l16

This syntax ends up in compile_commands.json and then makes no sense.
This opens a can of worms.  Unless we can refactor the generators to
avoid using inline response file syntax then this whole feature will
not work.  Recently I added support for using cmake-generated response
files for -I paths on some platforms:

  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commit;h=1c3233a8

It is a start, but I have no time to work further on ensuring command
lines in the makefiles stay short enough for the ancient Windows make
tools.

For what platforms do you actually need this feature?